Tuesday 23 February 2016

I will raise you up on eagle’s wings

Praying the Psalms in Lent
Psalm 91  “I will raise you up on eagle’s wings”
                 Psalm 91 states that the one who follows God has a special
relationship with Him. They can trust Him and depend upon him no matter what happens.  The images portrayed in this Psalm show God as a defender or protect of him people. God protects his children from snares and famine and God’s shield is faithfulness. We have nothing to fear: including the terror of the night, arrows being shot in daylight and even other enemies that crowd us and fall away. God will protect us always. The reason for this is because God has commanded his angels to guard and protect us no matter what happens. The angels will guard us and they will support us even if just stub our feet against rocks. God will look after us. The Psalmist then writes “And I will raise you up on eagle’s wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of my hand.”  After defending us and protecting us, God in faith will give us a special place as the wind moves and we will be lifted up to him and shine for him because God’s hand will hold us always.
This Psalm is comforting as God is depicted as the defender and protector of his children. He will not let anything harm those who are faithful to him. Those who are faithful are given a special place and will be lifted up to Him in his presence, the Spirit will move them and they will be radiant like the sun. And God will hold you. What a beautiful image for those individuals who profess their faith and live in his protective shelter. What a blessing it is to know that God comforts and protects us and one day will hold us in his hand forever!
Often when we read Psalm 91 we are comforted by the knowledge that God will protect us and has commanded his angels to look after us so that we will not be hurt by others. God calls us to make good decisions for our lives and to know that the angels will help guide us but we still have to choose to follow in faith. We also need to grow in our knowledge and love of God. By reading this Psalm 91 we learn that God is always protecting and always loving us.
Reflection:
How do you feel when you read this entire Psalm 91? Do you feel protected, loved, and lifted up because you are God’s children? During this Lenten season take the time to read God’s word and let the words reach inside your heart as you strive to see God in his glory and as you are protected like a hen protects its chicks. Isn’t it wonderful to know that God is looking out for you with help from his angels?
PRAYER:   Read Psalm 91 again and pray.

God of love you love me so much I am totally amazed. You are looking out for me with the help of your angels you are keeping me safe from harm and protecting me from what is out there. There are many evils out there and they are so easy to find yet you still love me and call me to be faithful to you. Thank you God for your love. Thank you for your protection. I ask that you would give me the strength I need to show others who you are and can be for them. Help me to draw closer to you knowing that you will hold me in your hand. In the name of the Creator and Protector I ask. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please type your comments here.