Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Simplicity of Prayer



”The Simplicity of Prayer”
Matthew 26:38

Second in the Series on Prayer—Oswald Chambers


”Watch and pray”. Jesus spoke these words as he prepared to be arrested and tried and ultimately put to death not because of something He had done wrong, but because He is God’s Son sent to save us. He told the disciples to sit while he went to pray over in a quiet space. He needed to connect with God the Father of what was going to happen to him and to prepare himself spiritually and mentally for all that He would take upon himself in these times. And through this act of prayer, Jesus shows us how important it is to pray to God but in His case it is so important because his is going through the moments of preparation for his death- for us.
How often do we say to ourselves- I’ll take time to pray after I do a certain task only to be thrown off from that particular action and of course not set aside time to pray?
How often do we think I’d better look after this phone call before I speak with God only to realize afterwards that praying would have helped more from a personal point of view.
“We ought to give much more time than we do to dwelling on the fundamental truths on which the Spirit of God works the simplicity of our Christian experience.” This means that we need to focus on the Spirit in our lives and our belief in Christ’s death and resurrection for our sakes.
God calls us to pray because we need to prepare ourselves for whatever we shall face- challenges or opportunities, celebrations or disappointments. And knowing that Jesus called his disciples to “watch and pray” enables us to also sit with our thoughts and reflect prayerfully to God about what is happening in our lives.
Prayer then enables us to walk and not faint,  to be strengthened and encouraged to do as we are called by God.


Quotes from  Oswald Chambers “If You Will Ask: ch 2 The Simplicity of Prayer”
PRAYER
God how good it is for me to know you! How vital it is for me to draw near to you! How can I falter when you are my Life? Enable me to watch and pray, and trust and follow. In Christ Jesus I pray. Amen.

 BLOG QUESTION:
How focused are you when you pray? Do things like a phone ringing or a bird singing break your concentration when praying to God? Or are you so absorbed in your thoughts and feelings that what is taking place around you is left unnoticed?
Jesus said to watch and pray. Do like him. Focus your eyes and heart on him and you will notice a difference in your life each day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Cathy! Sometimes I'm very focused and other times, I'm just sitting and watching as I pray. I'm planning a sermon series later in July and August on the Lord's Prayer and prayer in general. So, this is a great stepping off point for me.

    ReplyDelete

please type your comments here.