Wednesday 6 April 2016

I Try, God

I Try, God
Psalm 56
                Have you ever felt that everyone was against you? So much
that in your evening prayer you tell God, “I tried, God, but….” Then you list why things did not go so well. This Psalm reflects the need for God to be merciful to the believer, the follower because of reasons beyond their control.
                We read that ‘people hotly pursue those who believe and they press their attack. Slanderers are pursuing them and in their pride are attacking. Words are twisted and harm is done. They conspire, lurk, watch where they are going and even seem to be eager to end one’s life.
But what is comforting for all who believe is that whenever one might become afraid there is no need. Those who believe need only to trust in God’s word. One need only to trust in God’s word, for which you praise and give thanks. One is to trust in God for God knows the laments and tears of your hearts. God knows and because we believe and have made promises to God, we need only to offer our praise and thanksgiving.  Because God protects us from those who want to hurt us, we need to fully trust God so that we might walk before God in the light of life.
This Psalm calls us to not give up even after trying to do what is right. God will be there for you even in those moments when you feel abandoned before those who disagree with you. All you need to do is call for help and God is with you. God will comfort, encourage and enable you to speak up for what you believe and what you are striving to accomplish as a child of faith. But you must believe that God is there for you.
 When you made promises and professed your faith do you recall what you said? “I am under vows to you, O God I will present my thank offerings to you,” states the Psalm. Whenever people attack or question you God will help you to speak and show who you are and what you might become. But you must be willing to let God fully lead your life. God promises that He will deliver you from death from those who are against you. God will also keep you walking forward in faith and prevent you from stumbling as He is able because God leads your life. But you must communicate with God and he will answer you and lead your life in the way it should go.
REFLECTION:
When you said you believed in God did you really know what your promises were about? What about now? Has your faith become stronger since saying I believe in God, in Christ and the Spirit? What would you consider doing to continue to grow as you ask and answer questions and read the Bible? When you pray do you experience God’s calming embrace and love? Calm your heart and share in this prayer.
PRAYER:
Holy God of grace I ask you to be with me this day. You know what the day will bring not only in weather but in who and what I shall encounter. Calm my heart, release from me any anxiety and call on me to do as you would like me to do. I am willing to try and to learn and grow in faith as you lead and guide me. Amen.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

please type your comments here.