Tuesday 22 October 2019

I AM part 1


Wednesday, October 23, 2019

“I AM”

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.”  John 1:1-3

                As we learn more about Jesus by reading the different   Jesus was present at the time of creation; Jesus existed before Abraham and Jesus is with us now as part of what now call the Trinity.
books of the Bible we soon realize that Jesus, the Son of God, was and is God made flesh.
This concept of Trinity was not understood by early followers nor is it fully understood today. We want to ask how? Why? And this is the mystery of God- who exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Yet for centuries many people rejected the idea of the Trinity because it defies logic. But there are even scientific discoveries which we cannot fully understand.
                Jesus is talking with people about who he is in John 8. When Jesus states, “If I glorify myself my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me… Your father Abraham rejoiced in the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.’ But they said to Jesus, You are not yet 50 years old and you have seen Abraham!”  Jesus answered,’ Very truly I tell you, ”before Abraham was born, I am!” What was Jesus saying? “Before Abraham was born, I am”
                Remember when God first appeared to Moses in the form of a burning bush? Moses asked God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your fathers has sent me to you, ‘and they ask me ‘What is his name?’ What should say?  God’s reply to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM” (Exodus 3:13-14)
                People were skeptical about Jesus’ connection or relationship with God the Father. And when people do not understand, many grow angry. We read in John 8 that those listening to Jesus picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds. (John8:59)  And why? Because they were angry that he should blaspheme against God because he is a mere man claiming to be God. How could this be?
                In the next few weeks we will reflect on Jesus’ other “I Am” statements and what they mean in light of Jesus- the human being and his relationship with God.
REFLECT:
When you think about Jesus, how do you perceive God and vice versa? When we read “I AM” do we understand this to be the same person-God? Does this change your idea of Jesus—baby in the manger, man dying on the cross?

PRAYER
Holy God of grace and wonder, we believe Christ Jesus to be your Son in faith and how he enables all of other to draw closer to him, because of his abilities, and teachings. We still draw close to him and so we pray for understanding and hope for Christ is our Saviour and Lord and He s is God. Amen.
                Reflections suggested through “I Am the Way: The Amazing Claims of Jesus” by Jack Kuhatscheck,              ODB Ministries, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment

please type your comments here.