Sunday 16 September 2018

Breath of Life


Breath of Life

 Wednesday, September 5, 2018

'And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life'   Genesis 2:7

                Spending time together as a family is a primary reason for taking
time away from work and the regular routine of life. This summer I was able to take that time away through July and August and so I took a break from writing the Reflections. Now with school back and a somewhat regular routine in place I will once again be writing my thoughts, asking questions of your faith and hopefully giving you something to reflect upon in the middle of the week that causes you to pray, read a Bible passage or even just to stop for a moment!
                One of the things I enjoyed doing most was while being at my parents’ home was to sit outside under the pine trees and read. I don’t recall what novel I was reading but it was such a wonderful setting. It had rained throughout the previous night and the fragrance of pine trees can never really be captured in a spray. It was truly captivating. While reading and sitting a few cars would drive by but other than these few vehicles it was quiet. Sometimes when silence came the song of birds as they flew over or a breeze went through the trees causing leaves to flitter. It was just quiet and this is when I breathed in the pine scent and said, “What a wonderful world!” It was truly a moment of inviting God’s Spirit within. I just sat there, closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh air and relaxed. Stopping all thoughts I exhaled and breathed in again. Things just slowed down for a short time. This is what is meant as clearing the mind and body at the same time! Yet in doing so, I was made to feel alive again! These few minutes are what I needed in order to recharge and to think about life, ministry and family and how all of these are so important in my life!
                But what about you? Did you take time to stop and breathe in to live and enjoy the moment? Did you stop and think about what life is about? Or maybe you were reflecting on what was occurring where you were and what you intend to do? Summer vacations are wonderful and people choose to do different things—filling each day with activities or lazing on a beach; finding the best restaurants to eat a slow dinner or buying groceries and picnicking in a parking lot. Yet what is important in all of these-is being together, discovering something new, and seeing each other learn and grow together.
                As we begin this new academic year and come back to church and worshiping God more regularly, we can take these ideals of what makes a good vacation and share them with our church family. What was a good experience can be shared with others- as long as our focus remains on loving each other God will guide us. We live in a hurry up world—but are we willing to stop and let God’s Spirit come into our being alive? Are we willing to say I need the Spirit in me to guide and protect me each day? Breathe again and receive God’s gift of life. Use every breath you receive to love others and it will make a difference in your life today and always.
PRAYER
God we praise you for life and new beginnings, challenges and dreams. As we stop to reflect we breathe in your presence and know that you are with us. Help us anew as we share with others and our church family this precious gift of life. We ask these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please type your comments here.